Menu
Webmaster - Infos
Counter

 33047 hits

 1 visitor online

1. The Church - History
Dedicated to Saint Job, the Old-Testament saint whose unshakeable faith the Lord  chose to prove through manifold sufferings, the church is dedicated to the memory of the last Tsar of Russia, Nicholas II, whose birthday coincided with the Feast of Saint Job, and to that of the imperial family, murdered by the communist authorities on the 17th July 1918. 

The church also serves as a memorial to all the victims of the revolution and civil war in Russia, fallen since the Bolshevik take-over in October 1917.

The memorial aspect of the church can be seen in the four great plaques to the right and left of the iconostasis. The two on the right bear the names of the martyred members of the imperial family whereas those on the left are dedicated to the clergy, monks and all the victims “whose names the Lord knows.”
The other commemorative plaques that adorn the church walls were dedicated at the request of families who tragically lost loved ones during the revolution and civil war of 1917-1921, many of whom did not receive Christian burial.

The plan to build the church was conceived in 1929 in which year funds were raised from amongst Russian emigres dispersed around the whole world, to finance the construction and fit-out of the church. The royal houses of Yugoslavia and Bulgaria contributed to this call for funding, as did the Commune of Uccle.
The project was planned and overseen by a committee of architects specialised in Russian religious architecture at the University of Prague, presided by professor Okouneff.  The building plans were drafted by the painter-architect Nicolas Iselenov who also oversaw the artistic and iconographical aspects of the project. Nicolas Iselenov was also the painter of several icons conserved in the church.

The foundation stone was laid in 1936; in 1939 the works were almost complete. After an interruption due to the second world war, construction  re-commenced in 1946 and the solemn consecration of the church took place on the 1st October 1950.

The church is under the jurisdiction of the Holy Synod of Bishops of the Russian Orthodox Church Outside Russia whose seat is in the United States.

The religious status of the Orthodox Church was recognised by the Belgian state in May 1985.

Creation date : 16/02/2013 @ 15:05
Last update : 22/02/2013 @ 16:03
Category : 1. The Church
Page read 2819 times


^ Top ^